Saturday, October 2, 2010

Mp3 players: Man's Best Friend. Or Is It?

By Kevin Chan 2007-47565

The study that i read about really caught my attention because it is something close to my heart: music and iPods. First off i just really love music. Music is such a HUGE part of my life right now

whether it be because it brings me dance or because it gives me a chance to sing or simply something to relax me. When it comes down to it, MUSIC IS HUGE A HUGE PART OF MY LIFE. And because i love music so much, I LOVE MY IPOD AS WELL!!!!

Everywhere I am, my iPod is there with me.I have about 3 or 4 pairs of headphones because I easily misplace them and I want to be listening to music 24-7. That is why this study is very close to me.

In a nutshell, the objective of this study was to be able to determine the output levels of a commercially available MPEG layer-3 (MP3) player and to study the changes in the hearing of the participants after at least hour of listening to the MP3 player. The authors are very much straightforward by saying “It is well known that excessive occupational noise exposure can lead to noise-induced hearing loss”.

Indeed, we do know that excessive noise can damage our auditory system but exactly

defines “excessive noise”? Does excessive noise entail living next to a construction site? Does it entail going to a rock concert every week? Or does it simply mean listening to your iPod an hour everyday? That is why I think this study has so much merit

The methodological design was simply. There were two groups of subjects: a noise group that was exposed to po

p-rock music (21 subjects aged 19-28) for an hour and a control group (28 subjects that was not exposed to music. The participants that

was exposed to a noise group listened to an mp3 player for a maximum of six session (one hour each) using two separate types of headphones.

Both groups were tested before and after their separate conditions. Changes in hearing was evaluated with pure-tone audiometry, transient-evoked otoacoustic emissions and

distortion product otoacoustic emissions.

Results indeed show that only after 6 sessions of one hour use of the mp3 player, there was a significant reduction of hearing sensitive. To be very technical, and since we did study these in 135, the researcher mentions that there are structural alterations in the organ of court (we learned

that this is found in the inner ear). The primary damage is concentrated on the outer hair cells which the researchers mention are vulnerable to acoustic overstim

ualation. It is important to note however that the mp3 players were at full volume which were 97. 36 dB and 102. 56 dB for the supra-aural headphones and the stock earphones that came with the mp3 player.

One criticism i have of the study is that it does not study the long term effects of listening to music players. Indeed, the researchers agree that this is on

ly the short term hearing effects. A longitudinal study will be very beneficial as it will dive into other possible effects of mp3 usage.

I was very much affected because i probably listen to my mp3 player something like at least two hours a day! ATLEAST! Travel time for me is about and hour and a half to and from school with the headphones. Walking to and from classes is another "mp3 time" for me so thats about 20 mins. Light homework and light paper writing time is also mp3 time for me. usually Other dead time that I am not talking to my friends is possible "mp3 time for me". I WONDER HOW MY ORGAN OF CORTI IS??

The researchers suggest the 60-60 rule. That means that the either you listen to your mp3 player for a maximum of 60 minutes (at full blown volume) or you continue to listen to your mp3 player but at 60% of the maximum volume.

The Apple company actually did something to remedy the flown blown volume level situation. They have a "maximum" volume that can be preset by the owner of the iPod. This is actually a very good idea that other mp3 players should copy. User can set their volume limit to 60% so as not to damage their ears.

One very good application of this study is that Apple iPod and other Mp3 players should actually put the 60-60 rule in their fine print. Similar to "government warning labels" at cigarette boxes there should be warning as well in mp3 player boxes. This will ensure consumers will be more informed at the possible structural problems excessive listening can bring.

Keppler, H. (2010) Short-term Auditory Effects of Listening to an MP3 Player. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg; 136 (6): 538-548 !

No comments:

Post a Comment